Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Just because it's easier doesn't make it right.

Yesterday in class, my teacher couldn't quite remember how many bytes are in a kilobyte, and I, knowing the answer, said, "One thousand twenty-four."

But I sit in the back of the class and she likes to ignore me. So she wrote "1 byte = 1000 kilobytes" on the board.

This is one of my biggest pet peeves. (Both being ignored and people misrepresenting data).

Edit: What I obviously meant to say was "1 kilobyte = 1000 bytes." Woops.

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 08, 2005 9:38:00 PM, Blogger Lint Monkey said...

First off, I did make an error (I was rushing to post and it was early in the morning). See the edit.

Secondly, yeah that is weird. I'd never heard that before. Wikipedia says:

The kibibyte is closely related to the kilobyte, which can be used either as a synonym for kibibyte or to refer to 10^3 bytes = 1 000 bytes.

Dictionary.com says:

The official ISO[?] name for 1024 bytes, to distinguish it from 1000 bytes which they call a kilobyte. "Mebibyte", "Gibibyte", etc, are prefixes for other powers of 1024. Although this new naming standard has been widely reported in 2003, it seems unlikely to catch on.

So apparently, even though there is a correct term, the old "kilobyte" still means 1,024 bytes. Or not.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home