Thursday, June 02, 2005

What I Learned Today

Lesson One: How to insert a floppy diskette.

Lesson Two: Microsoft invented the desktop metaphor because they are smart. (Update: See comments.)

Lesson Three: When passing around the attendance sheet, don't hand it back to the person who gave it to you. They've probably already signed it.

Lesson Four: Getting a 1GB iPod Shuffle was the best possible decision Renee and I could have made. I was foolish to think it wouldn't work on the university computers. It is a driverless USB flash drive and it does work. Rock on.

4 Comments:

At Friday, June 03, 2005 1:08:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you just call Microsoft smart? Are you feeling allright?

 
At Friday, June 03, 2005 6:44:00 PM, Blogger Lint Monkey said...

I'm feeling fine. I am absolutely *not* calling Microsoft smart. They did not invent the desktop metaphor (calling a collection of data "files" and putting them in "folders", etc.). Apple saw it in use at the Xerox PARC and popularized it with the Macintosh in 1984.

And hey, did Blogger just add that "Other" button to the "Choose an identity" section in the comments? That's pretty awesome and I don't remember it being there before.

 
At Friday, June 03, 2005 11:45:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lesson Two: Microsoft invented the desktop metaphor because they are smart.

....

I'm confused. Not by the fact that they didn't invent it, which I figured, but by the fact that you credited them in your post.

(And yes they did.)

 
At Saturday, June 04, 2005 1:18:00 AM, Blogger Lint Monkey said...

It's not really crediting them. It's sarcasm. Kinda like, "Oh, well that's something I didn't know."

I guess my intent can be easily misread. I'll link to the comments in the original post.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home