Wednesday, September 01, 2004

Worst... Day... Ever...

It's official. I had the worst day I've ever had. Guess how long it took me to get home on my first day of work. Really, guess.

Six and a half hours.

Four p.m. to ten thirty. What a load of crap. And guess what else: even though I fully charged my cell phone, the battery died. And since the interstate I was on got closed, I had to take an exit I'd never taken and I had no idea where I was. Or how to get home. In the dark. And pouring rain. If I turned on the air conditioning, all the windows and windshield fogged up. So I had to keep turning on the defroster. Which made the car hot, and me sweaty. It sucked so bad.

So then, I finally get home and the power is out. Until today. That's two nights without power. The first night, we spent the night at Renee's aunt and uncle's house. Renee got a half an hour of sleep because Renaissance doesn't like sleeping in other people's houses.

And then last night, we went to Wal-Mart and bought batteries and a really bright battery-powered light and I set my phone's alarm for 5:20 a.m. I woke up on time and showered, then came downstairs to sit for a few minutes since Renee didn't want to wake up until 6 a.m. I set the alarm on my PDA and when it went off five minutes later, I hit snooze. The same thing happened again, and then, being the genius I am, I was like, "All right, I'll get up now," and just shut off my PDA. Bad move. I woke up at 7:15 and had to run out the door.

Renee and I had planned on her dropping me off at work, so just in case it got too hot in the apartment, she wasn't stranded here with a ten month old. But we didn't have time to get everything around so we decided to have her stay home. So I was 30 minutes late to work. On the day when we meet the guy who, I think, is in charge of like everything. Great.

So I got out of work early, at 3 p.m. and when I got home I ran in the house (Renee's phone was off). But it was cooler inside than it was outside and it wasn't too bad. So I was glad for that. There are benefits to living in a place with no windows.

But things seem to be getting better now. Our power is *finally* back on. Traffic lights are working on our main road. And I'm settling in to my new job nicely. I still have absolutely no idea what I'll be doing, but I'm getting the best training I've ever gotten for a job, even if so far it's all just general stuff. Tomorrow, I actually enter the fab and get to learn about my job. It'll be the first of many twelve-hour shifts. It's gonna be cool, though. So, now I have to go watch TV for a little bit, and then Renee and I may go to Wal-Mart again to get some more food. I don't know though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home